Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Apple Blackberry Bundt Cake

I adore bundt cakes. All of the ones I've had have been moist, delicious cakes - lemon, fresh fruit, chocolate... And they look great too! I've never been a fan of working with icing - I find I try to ice a cake while it is still a little warm (patience is a virtue, I know) and thus I fail dismally. I know this is the mistake I make, but I keep repeating it time and again. With a bundt cake, you don't have that problem! Glaze while it is still a little warm, or dust with icing sugar... or just leave it as it is straight out of the tin!

I've been looking for a good recipe to "christen" my brand new Kenwood mixer my other-half bought for Christmas! Isn't it pretty?


I've been a Kenwood girl my whole life - I grew up using my mother's old Kenwood mixer, and got my own second-hand 1960's model Kenwood when I moved out of home. My other-half has helped to fix various faults that went wrong with the old one as they popped up, and now he surprised me with the brand new one! I'm a lucky girl, for sure.

So, in search of a worthy recipe, I stumbled across a Blueberry Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze on Pinterest, which took me to the recipe on Dulce Dough. I'd been looking for a way to use a tin of Apple & Blackberry Pie Filling I'd bought months ago from Aldi, and thought I might try tweaking this recipe to suit.

APPLE & BLACKBERRY BUNDT CAKE
Recipe adapted from Dulce Dough 

INGREDIENTS:
- 3 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1 tsp cooking salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1x 550g can of Apple & Blackberry Pie Filling

METHOD:
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius. Mix the flour, baking powder, bi-carb soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.



In your electric mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating between each egg. Add the vanilla essence and beat well. Add the flour to the wet mixture, alternating with your sour cream, beating between each addition.



Finally, fold through the Apple & Blackberry fruit.



Pour your batter into a greased bundt tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until cooked.  
Easy! Mine turned out great. It rose a little more than would be "perfect" for a bundt cake, so I just trimmed away the excess on the base. The result was a really lovely cake - almost like a muffin in texture with great flavour. 

Unfortunately, you'll have to accept my appologies for the poor photography! I currently don't own a camera, so photos have been taken with my tablet. I'm hoping to rectify that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment